design: impulsant
Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Why innovation is dead

The past three days I've been giving guest lectures at Avans on interactive marketing. I now know why innovation is dead in the Netherlands.

If I look at the way points are calculated, how grades are given, I understand why nobody excells in anything anymore on our colleges / universities. Damn'd, it's really hard to fail these days. You can compensate everything with everything. And still... there are people failing classes...

Also, the students were extreemly interested in the new media. But using them... seemed to be really difficult. Only very few good ideas, while the objective (be creative) wasn't that hard. So I guess I understand why there are few creative marketeers in this country, and why innovation is dead. We don't stimulate it, we don't teach it.

1 Comments:

  • And not long after I wrote this post, a student approaches me with a good idea, something I think has lots of potential. But since it's not my idea and not my company I'm setting up (he's already setting it up), I can't talk about it. But I'll approach some of the ideabrokers personally if they see something in it.

    Guess it's not all dead... just 95% of the people that should be thinking up new ideas are grey mice.

    By Blogger Bas van de Haterd, at 12:10 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home